The House in Fata Morgana is an extremely unique—and challenging—title in many ways. With a constant thread of tragedy running through the narrative and themes of overcoming hardship and finding acceptance, it should come as no surprise that some rather unpleasant things happen to—and are done by—the characters.
In the process, Fata Morgana delves into some subject matter not often broached by visual novels—or media in general. Because it’s such a special story to us, we want to make sure as many people as possible are able to enjoy the game on their own terms—without being blindsided by any potentially distressing content.
It goes without saying that there will be spoilers.
- Graphic descriptions of violence, torture, and murder
- Stabbing, cutting people open, beheading, breaking bones, cannibalism.
- Domestic violence
- Racist remarks
- Psychological manipulation
- Sexist remarks
- Sexual assault, rape
- In the fifth chapter, one of the main characters is raped and beaten by an older man. The scene is not especially explicit, focusing more on the traumatic nature of the events.
- In the seventh chapter, one of the main characters is subject to unwanted advances, inappropriate language, intimidation, and briefly being restrained against his will by an older, intoxicated man at a party.
- Homophobic remarks
- Transphobic remarks and behavior
- In the seventh chapter, one of the main characters is revealed to be intersex. He was raised female, but comes to identify as male in early adolescence. Some of his family is unable to accept this, resulting in physical and mental abuse, exile, and him eventually being sentenced to death by the Church.
- Child abuse
Despite all the terrible things that happen, we want to emphasize that Fata Morgana is, at its heart, a story about redemption. About overcoming hardships and bigotry. About finding people who accept and love you for who you are.
It can be difficult and uncomfortable to read, but we believe that Fata Morgana approaches its subject matter with the respect, care, and sincerity that it deserves, and we hope that you feel the same.